This post may contain affiliate links. That means we may make a small commission on items purchased through links in this post at no extra cost to you!
Expert bloggers tend to create monthly income reports to share with viewers in hopes to help them take away from their own experiences. I am not one of these experts. I have been blogging since August 2017, which is a whopping 9 months that Fall for Maine has been live on the interwebs. I spent months beforehand studying up on everything I could. Reading blog after blog on how to start a money making online business. Then in August, I took the plunge. I launched my site and was ready to see the dollars roll in. Shockingly, this did not happen. For the past 9 months, I have created “progress reports” as opposed to an income report because I wasn’t really making any money. My reports were more about my slowly growing following and a way for me to keep track of my site statistics. It is nice to see where it all started, you know?
f you haven’t started your blog yet but are looking into taking the plunge like I did check out my post on Choosing SiteGround over Bluehost the self-hosted guide for beginner bloggers. And if you sign up for SiteGround with my link you get a free domain, free site builders, free 1-click WordPress install, 24/7 support and all for only $3.95 a month! You really can’t beat a deal like that.
May has been a crazy month for blog views. In the month of April I was so ecstatic to reach over 1,000 views so I was shocked when I surpassed that in the first week of May, most of this generating through my Pinterest page.
May’s Top Posts
In May there were three posts that got a lot of traffic on Pinterest which in return brought a lot of traffic to Fall for Maine. Like I mentioned, I wanted to create towards the festivities of the month. One main thing came to mind. Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning! So I created content that I would personally search for on Pinterest.
- 15 Life-Changing Organization Hacks
- 9 Borderline Genius Scented Hacks
- 10 Clever Spring Cleaning Hacks That Will Blow Your Mind
These posts are getting 10,000-20,000 impressions this month! The only thing that I feel I have done differently to create this improvement in traffic is to target my audience. Using relevant hashtags and buzzwords. Creating titles that let your readers know that they are going to get something out of your post. And using the seasonal festivities around me.
Want to make sure that you know what holidays are coming up that could skyrocket your blog like mine did? Download my FREE monthly content calendar cheatsheets to stay up to day on all fun days and ideas that each month has to offer.
Okay, on to the report!
May Income Report
Ads: $9.87 (Google Adsense)
Etsy Shop Sales: $9.00 Check out my shop here!
Sponsored Post: $75.00 (see post here!)
Please note that most campaigns do not pay immediately and give 30-60 day buffers for payment.
May Social Media Traffic & Stats:
Blog Pageviews: 747 and counting
Instagram: 540 Followers (+44)
Twitter: 1,500 Followers (+12)
Pinterest: 300 Followers & 471k Views (+30 and +288.7k)
Facebook: 209 Likes (+0)
This month I have really gained momentum when it comes to social media. I feel more comfortable with sharing my life with my viewers which is known to attract more followers.
What Worked This Month:
I use Tailwind to make sure that my blog posts circulate even when I am busy with my day job and general life. This month it has really shown as the best tool to bring traffic to Fall for Maine. The more consistent I am posting on Pinterest through Tailwin the more people are sharing my pins to their own personal boards. It has been a great tool that I highly recommend to any beginning blogger.
Finding my Hack Niche
I’ve realized that I enjoy finding ways to make life a little easier. The moment I started creating posts to share these ways with my viewers is the moment that my views skyrocketed. Everyone is looking for the best tip or trick to live life better, and I think I have found my calling in helping my fellow hack seekers out!
What Didn’t Work This Month:
Last month I became so consistent with my post schedule and it really seemed to be working. This month time seemed to stray with me as social events got piled up and work meetings became back to back. This gave me little time to write on the weekends and schedule ahead of time. As the month of May comes to an end I am realizing that my lack of scheduling new content is showing up in my daily blog views. Guess I better get back on track!
Did I Accomplish My Goals?!
- Sell 5 Items in my Etsy shop! – Yes! I have had a handful of prints sold which is very exciting.
- Hit 600 Instagram Followers – Just 60 more to go!
- Hit 300 Pinterest Followers – Yes!
- Get 10 Contributors to my DIY Blogger Babes Pinterest group board. – Unfortunately not.
- Hit 1,000 pageviews on the blog. – Above and beyond!
- Work with more campaigns! – I am working on it.
Next Month’s Goals
- Hit 8,000 Blog Views
- Get a 1 Million Reach on Pinterest
- Hit 600 Instagram Followers
- Create More DIY Posts
How I Reached 6,000 Views
In all honesty, I do not have some sort of magic potion. It pretty much happened all on it’s own. But there are a few pieces that I mentioned before that definitely contributed to this viewing success.
- Tailwind – Scheduling your posts makes sure that you are pinning to your boards regularly. The more consistent you are with your Pinterest activity the more people are going to see those pins. My reach has doubled just by staying active.
- Helpful Posts – Not only did I start creating more posts that I really enjoy but I also have created content that can help others. Most people want to get something out of the posts they read. The posts I write about getting the best spring cleaning tips and all-natural insect repellents you need to try are posts that not only help my life but help others as well. I think this has been the key to May’s success.